Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Miwives for Haiti Trip Day 5

Wednesday October 3rd, 2012

Thanks for the many birthday wishes.  I do miss not being with Josh and the kids today, but it was a good day.  I went on the 90 min drive over very rough dirt "roads" and creeks to the remote town of Cerca-Carvajal.  It was a beautiful ride and the mountains were all around us.  I saw 55 women for prenatal check-ups and 8 women and babies for post partum check-ups between 9am and 3pm!  The only way this was possible was the fact that don't do any internal exams unless they think they are in labor.  I am quite certain I was able to find full term twins, but no u/s to confirm it.  It was her first prenatal visit and she had no idea when she was due.  Her belly measured 44cm, which is huge especially by Haitian standards, since they are so small.  And her tummy was all baby. I am pretty sure I felt a head at her pelvis and also at the top of her belly.  We were able to tell her that it is really important for her to try to get to a hospital to deliver due to the potential complications of twins, especially hemorrhaging after delivery. 





Tonight they have made brownies and homemade ice cream for my b-day and we are going to have some wine and try to watch the presidential debates on-line on a projector screen if our connection holds up.   

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home