Sunday, February 01, 2015

Beth's January 2015 Haiti Trip - Day 1

Day 1  Friday January 23, 2015
My third trip with Midwives for Haiti begins!  Everything went well with my arrival.  I flew out of Moline so that is always so easy and nice. To get a flight for under $1,000 I flew down to Port-Au-Prince a day early.   I choose to stay at the Heartline Ministries Guest House Friday since I'm not getting picked up by MFH until noon tomorrow. The man in charge of the Heartline Ministries Guest House was waiting with a big sign for me just as I stepped out of the airport.  Their guest house is just 2 miles from the airport but it took us about 30 minutes to drive back due to the crazy Port-au-Prince traffic. 



The guest house is in a guarded and gated community so very safe.  The family that now runs the house are missionaries from Mississippi and they have 4 and 7 yr old girls and a 11 year old boy and a 18yr old Haitian boy they care for.  As soon as I arrived the 7yr old Kylee grabbed my hand and showed me how to climb the ladder to the roof of the house to watch the sunset with her mom.  It is 85 degrees here and it was a beautiful way to spend the evening.   We then ate dinner and visited with the 2  men from British Columbia who are electrical engineers here to help build/repair some radio towers and 4 men from New Jersey here working at an orphanage.   There is also a 22 yr old girl,  Chyanne living here for 6 months who is a teacher for a home school family.
 It is a very nice house and I have the girls room with 10 beds all to myself.  I was very tired so I headed to bed under my mosquito net around 8pm.  There was no running water last night but there was some today.  Plus they have WiFi so I got to Skype with the kids this morning.  I will be heading off to catch my ride to Hinche soon.  I hope the motion sickness meds work!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home